Project Pavement Engineer
NCE is looking for Project Pavement Engineers ready to join our talented and diverse pavement group in our Bay Area offices. Our team works with many cities and counties throughout California designing improvements and managing their street and road networks. We also consult at major airports, ports, and state highway agencies, so our work covers a broad range of projects. Our goal is to provide superior consulting services, resulting in highly satisfied clients and staff that continue to grow.
On a day-to-day basis, the Project Pavement Engineer plays a vital role in technical and field support for pavement engineering and pavement management projects under the direct supervision of a California Professional Engineer. This can include evaluating pavement conditions, assisting field crews with materials sampling, collecting non-pavement assets, identifying and marking pavement repair and coring locations, producing pavement designs, and assisting with reports. Our group has a considerable wealth of experience and education, and we are constantly mentoring junior staff toward career growth and professional licensing.
At NCE, Engineers are encouraged and supported to innovate, investigate, discover, and learn. NCE fosters a collaborative work environment and provides avenues that encourage sharing knowledge, experiences, and new and creative ideas. A Project Pavement Engineer can grow their skillset through a variety of experiences to advance their career.
The selected candidate will be willing to learn and assume technical responsibilities, travel, and demonstrate initiative and persistence. Successful Engineers will be able to perform the following key job responsibilities, including:
- Perform fieldwork, including surveying pavement conditions, completing field quality control, and marking core and repair locations.
- Run pavement design programs and utilize multiple design methods, such as Caltrans and AASHTO.
- Interpret test results and work with colleagues on forensic evaluations.
- Prepare field and pavement design reports.
- Utilize StreetSaver and Paver software for local agency pavement management.
- Prepare pavement management update reports including budget analyses.
- MS in Civil Engineering with 3 to 7 years’ experience, BS with 4 to 7 years, PhD considered.
- Interest in living/working in the San Francisco Bay/Sacramento areas.
- Knowledge of and interest in fundamentals of pavement engineering such as distress identification, design, rehabilitation, maintenance, materials, and management. Field and/or laboratory experience is beneficial.
- Solid capabilities with Microsoft Office. Experience with ArcGIS and ACCESS is helpful.
- Strong writing and communication skills. Ability to write internal and client correspondence and sections of formal reports.
- EIT and ability to obtain CA PE License.
May require field work (e.g., construction equipment and sites, roadway, drilling coring rigs, occasional remote
locations, airports, and ports).
Salary Range: $90,000 to $100,000 annually DOE